Parrot Heads are the dedicated fans of Jimmy Buffett and his music. They get the name from their clothing and attitudes, which tend to organizations that need help. There are more than 200 Parrot Head clubs in 45 states and seven countries, with more than 23,000 members. These clubs are registered as not-for-profit organizations under Parrot Heads in Paradise, Inc.
Who are the Lakes Area Parrot Heads?
We are the regional chapter of Parrot Heads in Paradise, Inc. As part of our charter, we are required to do a minimum of four charity events every year. Based in Detroit Lakes, Minn., our membership ranges from Minnesota’s lakes country (hence the name) into the Fargo-Moorhead metro area, with other members scattered across North America. Our members come from all walks of life and occupations, from business owners and secretaries, to disc jockeys and web designers.
We meet monthly and have several other get-togethers and charity fundraisers throughout the year. We attend concerts and generally enjoy having fun while we do our charity work.
What have we done with charities and other organizations?
Quite a bit! Fundraising, volunteering, collecting food and clothes—it’s easiest to list them like this:
- Marshmallow Foundation
- Mahube Community Council Giving Tree
- Alzheimer’s Walk
- Humane Society of the Lakes
- Habitat for Humanity
- Minnesota Adopt-a-Highway
- Becker County, MN, Food Pantry
- Great Plains Food Bank
- Ronald McDonald House, Fargo-Moorhead
- American Cancer Society
- Fargo-Moorhead Emergency Food Pantry
- Dakota Foundation Food Pantry
- Fargo Marathon volunteers
- Providing equipment to Belizean (Central America) firefighters
- School supplies for Belizean children
So, are you up for a challenge? Come join us!